Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Famous Tacos!!

I got the original recipe from my wonderful amazing Grandmom! :) She is known for her tacos!! Ours are slightly different... they are both fantastic but slightly different. For example she uses ground beef, I use ground turkey, she adds olives, I don't because my hubby hates them LOL!! I use white corn tortillas... I can't remember if she uses white or yellow corn...

Enough talk. I am sharing my spectacular yummy tacos!!

1 package of Ground Turkey ( you can use ground beef but it really is better with Turkey!)

1 package of Chicken Taco seasoning (VERY IMPORTANT McCormick is the best!! Either Reg Taco or Chicken but MUST BE McCormick.. Red envelope package)

1 can diced green mild chilies (ortega is my favorite, but genaric is good too)

1 tomato (any kind if you like them)

1 head ice berg lettuce (the reason for ice berg on tacos is it gives it a nice cool crunch. I am not a big fan of ice berg salads... but for tacos it's a must!)

1 bag shredded Cheese (
or shred your own. I like the Mexican mix or Colby Jack mix)

1 onion ( I like Yellow)

1 bunch Cilantro (makes them oh so yummy)

1 package white corn tortillas (I prefer white to yellow they taste better!!)

Canola oil or Vegetable oil

Tongs

TONGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT!



( You can also add)

La Victoria Green Taco sauce (my FAVORITE!)
Sour Cream (in our house is a must)
Salsa
Ketchup ( I so don't get this at all, but my husband loves it! Weird!! I almost consider it sacrilege, but he loves it so I will include it)


Start by browning the meat with the chilies and Taco Seasoning.

While that is cooking
slice and dice all the veggies!

Once the Taco meat is browned, put on back burner on very low to keep it hot.

Then take a small frying pan and line the bottom with cooking oil. Heat oil and walk away for a few minutes.

Next line a plate with paper towels. Place next to stove (but not to close LOL)

When the oil is very hot (hopefully not smoking) then you put your first tortilla in the oil. Use your tongs to coat both sides of the tortilla with oil, then QUICKLY fold the tortilla in half so it is shaped like a taco shell. Now hold one side up while it cooks (when it is lightly brown flip to the other side) When both sides are golden brown remove and let oil drip off. Place on plate and on to the next shell!!

The longest process is the tortilla shells.


I would like to note here:

THE TACO SHELLS THIS WAY ARE ESSENTIAL or it won't be as good!!

THEY ARE SO SO SO SO YUMMY!!

Bon Apetite!!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment